Visiting Researcher Status at UT Austin

Visiting Researchers work with UT Austin faculty on research projects.

Visiting Researchers receive a University ID that allows access to the university libraries, computer and recreational facilities, and the bus system. All visiting researchers are required to hold a short-term or standard J-1 scholar visa, regardless of their length of stay. Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program are no longer eligible for visiting researcher status.

The process for applying for Visiting Researcher status is complex and includes not only UT Austin procedures but also applying for a J-1 visa from the US Department of State. Be sure to allow plenty of time to complete the process.

Visitors who wish to take classes must apply to UT as Non Degree-Seeking Students, not as Visiting Researchers. The procedures for Non Degree-Seeking Students are different and require a J-1 or F-1 visa.

The process for applying for Visiting Researcher status has recently changed. For the latest information, please ask your UT Austin faculty sponsor to put you in touch with their departmental staff in charge of international visitors.